Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Framing Prints, Pictures and Art

I know I said I was going to do a series on decorating our newly renovated house (and I still plan to do this once the kids are back in school) but I was just looking around the house today and realized that something that can really make a house stand out is its art. And it doesn't have to be expensive art. Much of what I have hanging in our house was either done by me, or is framed prints and photos. Lately, I have been experimenting with brightly colored mats. My inspirations were these pictures out of Better Homes and Gardens and (of course) one that I can't find in my archives right now.

Inspiration: Wide, light blue matts from Better Homes and Gardens


Inspiration: Wide pink matts from Better Homes and Gardens


And here is how I interpreted this in my own home.

Add a pop of color in your matts


dark and bright matts


I'd had this bright turquoise matt board for a long time (I just bought it because I loved the color) and so I decided to punch up this display with a little color. I still need to find just the right piece or pieces of art to hang above the bookcase. It is a very large and high wall so I feel like I need something quite substantial here.

Vestibule at the bottom of the stairs (I need to find the right piece to go under this picture)


We've had this print for a long time. I think the darker matt really pulls the eye into the print. Like most of the house, this area is another work in progress. I have been looking for a sideboard type piece to fit under the picture. It needs to be deep enough to store all the myriad games we have. I can't wait to find the right piece so that I can refinish it to be just what I want, but that's a different post.


In the dining room I matted cooking photos in different tones of green.



Using two wide matts (at least 1" reveals)


I got the idea to do two wider matts from this inspiration photo from Better Homes and Gardens. I loved the two toned wide blue matts. (OK, I also love the floor to ceiling bookcases. I want to do this in my office/study someday soon) I interpreted this with an off white outer and light green inner matt. Eventually I might change out the outer matt for another shade of green.

Inspiration: wide two tone double blue matts from Better Homes and Gardens


In the guest room, I added some color in the bright yellow matts around photos of the kids with their grandparents. Someday I'll post about how I try to make our guest room inviting and comfortable for guests. The impressionist style painting was done for me as a Christmas gift from one of my uncles. The colors were perfect for this room.




Using a bright yellow matt to highlight a photo


I am blessed with a very artistic family and like to include their artwork in my home. I have a watercolor done by my mom hanging in the hallway right when you come into the house from the garage. SInce the garage is our main family entrance, I thought this would be the perfect place to hang this inspiring scene from the Napa Valley.

Upstairs, in the master suite I painted and hung an oversized painting of a flower. I painted this on a thin piece of plywood (I got this idea from David Bromstad of Color Splash). You don't have to go out and spend a lot of money on canvas to make fun art for your house. I think the plywood cost me about $5 at Home Depot (and I only used half the sheet). I also painted a scene on the back of it, so if we get tired of the flower we can just turn it around.

Upstairs, in my boys rooms, I covered matts with scraps of fabric I had lying around the house that coordinate with their room colors. Some ribbon adds a little interest to these matts.

Anyway, I guess the whole point of this post is that artwork and photos really add life to a home, and the way you matt these pieces can really make them stand out. A simple matt can take a stock poster or print from ho-hum to special and fantastic. And it doesn't have to cost a lot of money. You can make a matt out of a piece of colored cardboard, or cover a corregated cardboard matt with fabric scraps (or just leave it and use the corregated texture). Craft paint can make a white matt into any color you want. Just have fun and make your house beautiful.

p.s. Here's another inspiration photo of mine from Family Circle magazine. I love the bright, skinny frames. I haven't done this yet, but I am looking for a place in my home where something like this would work.

Inspiration: Colored frames with white matts from Family Circle