Friday, July 23, 2010

Where Do They Find ...

Have you ever been watching one of those decorating shows on HGTV or TLC and they show you the designer going to all these great antique shows or flea markets or great second hand consignment shops? Well, I was watching one of my new favorite shows Sarah's House and she always finds the greatest antique/flea markets. How do Sarah and her assistant Tommy (aside: I love Tommy. He is so funny.) find these places and can they tell me where to find one in my area? On all these shows they always find these terrific items for pennies. Lets see, the last few things Sarah has found include a gorgeous four poster bed (wouldn't go with my house, but it was beautiful and fit perfectly on the farmhouse she was renovating) and hand quilted antique bedspread. They found a dining table and in passing I saw some random person who happened to be in the background find the perfect dresser that would have looked terrific in my stair vestibule. It was just the piece that I have been looking for for the past year. Oh my, I wanted that piece.

All the flea markets and such that I have found in my area, are really just junk sales or professionals trying to sell t-shirts and mass produced items. They are nowhere near the quality of the sales that you see on these shows. And I know that you need to wade through a lot of junk to just find the diamond among all the zirconia, but really, these places near me are more cheap clothing and such and not old furniture pieces.

Hey Sarah, can you find me some great flea markets in California?