Friday, July 23, 2010

Decorating My House

About a year ago we finished the remodel on our house. What started out as a kitchen remodel (the house had a tiny 9x9ish kitchen) ended up as a whole house remodel. In the end there were only 4 rooms in the whole house that weren't extensively remodeled (and event those got all new windows and trim to match the rest of the house and the upstairs hall bathroom is slated for a remodel within the next year). The upside to all this is that we now have the house of our dreams that we hope to be in for at least the next 20 years.

This also meant that I get to redecorate almost an entire house. It is still a work in progress and there are a lot of things that I still want to do, but for the most part I am happy with the way the house is coming along. I hope to do a series of entries about decorating the house and how I chose where to splurge and where to bargain shop.

So where do I invest? Like in building the house, I spend the money on the parts that will be touched and used every day. In a house this is on the doorknobs and pulls, the light switches, and the appliances. For decorating this is in the big upholstered pieces and the main eating area chairs and tables.

It is in the accessories that I save. My biggest source of great accessories at super cheap prices is TJMaxx/HomeGoods. I love HomeGoods. My biggest finds there are pottery and vases and table lamps. When I post about my bedroom you'll see what I mean.

So, over the next few weeks, I'm going to go room by room and talk about how I've decorated, what I like and dislike so far, and what I am still looking to do. There are a lot of places where I haven't found just the right thing yet, but I am always looking. One thing that I stress when decorating, is to take your time. Nothing (except maybe a bed) is needed right away. Wait until you find that perfect piece of art or just the right table. It is ok if your space has an empty wall for a while. But at the same time, be ready to make the purchase when you find just the right piece.